R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Thunder Power RC Z3R Motors
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Jamison R
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by devilsquid
After Snow birds a few guys showed up at my local track with these motors. I bought one of these motors in a package deal with a CEFX Photon. Now I admit I was leary because two of the three guys that had this motor, I watched go up in smoke. Well after two weeks of running the one I acquired I have to say that it must have been due to them over gearing them and overheating them at some point. First thing I was told by the previous own was not to go to big on the pinion. So I have carefully played with gearing. First thing I noticed is this thing is a very powerful motor. I used to run the LRPx12 and have tried a BOSS motor. By the way I run unboosted class. This motor in my opinion is just flat awesome. You cant gear it like your other motors. I am running quite a bit taller fdr than I was with other motors and what others are running at my track. I am not giving up on ounce of speed on the straight either. I have actually caught myself having to check up on a couple of people. I have since bought another Thunderpower for race days only and the other is for practice. I tried going one tooth smaller and slightly higher timing yesterday and I was even faster. The motor came off the track at 124 degrees after running it for what had to be close to 10 minutes straight. About 10 degrees cooler than the gearing and slightly lower timing I had settled on before. The fastest time on my track for non boost this season is 10 seconds flat. Yesterday I turned a 10.1. I have only been driving touring car since Oct. time frame and they had the doors open so the track was a little dusty but there is not doubt that with race day like conditions the car and motor is there. In the hands of a better skilled driver, that time might even fall. Anyway, I was on the verge of going back to LRP, that is until I got this motor. Thanks Thunderpower and I would recommend this motor to anyone, anyone but the people at my track I am racing against.LOL
wonder who told you that???