R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - F1 Racing
Thread: F1 Racing
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2002, 09:40 AM
psycho
Tech Master

I race at a track where the race director does a great job of encouraging rookies to get into racing. I really commend his efforts since new blood is the future of our hobby/sport. He's obviously excited about his car, and I think that's a good thing. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now. I didn't see that post in the HPI board! Just for the record, I see no reason why a pancar can't achieve 70MPH. In fact, the world speed record in an RC car was done in a pancar and it was over 100MPH. I don't remember all of the details. If any of you keep an eye on the Team Joybox website, you've probably seen pictures from their races in velodromes. They use pinion gears the size of a typical spurgear and I would bet that they regularly see speeds around 70MPH in F103's. I was looking for some of their pictures last night, but couldn't find the ones I've seen in the past.

Anyways, I'm not trying to defend the guy, I just have a problem with people bagging on him. I can remember a time when I was enamored with top speed and figured my car must be able to go 60+ MPH. Then I saw 1/10 scale nitro on-road cars hitting an estimated 40MPH and realized that my perception was way off! I prefer the approach of education over flaming.

So what were we talking about beofre this? Oh yeah. F1 Racing. How about Jenson Button, eh? Pretty impressive run for him in Sepang. He wasn't giving up much to JPM in the straightaways. It was nice to see someone other than MS standing on 1st place podium.