R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support
Old 02-23-2011, 06:17 AM
VRacing
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by HarryLeach
The taller standoffs helped calm the front down, so it doesn't carve in quite so aggressively or feel as edgy, the camber was to gain a slight bit more high speed steering, and splitting the caster shims was to take away a tiny bit of exit steering, while giving a bit more entry steering in the slower corners.

As for stiffness, the stock [1.5] plates for the NFE in the outboard position should be around the same stiffness as the 1.8 plates in the inboard position, and the 1.2 rear flex links are softer than the stock 1.5 fiberglass links

Our carpet is very worn with quite a few bumpy spots, but the car doesn't seem to mind.

I'm going to try and get to the track this week to get some practice in and try some things. I think one of the first things I'm going to try is to put the stock [short] standoffs back on to let the front roll a bit more to provide my high speed steering, and see if that will let me back the dual rate off. Right now my dual rate is around 70%, so my front end setup might be too calm to accomplish what I'm looking for.

Track grip yesterday was pretty good, but I actually had rubber building up on the outside of the front tires, which is something I haven't seen on foams in a very long time.

I dunno, I'll tweak on it and try to figure out if my motor is just too worn down [new one on order], or if my effort to make the car a bit easier to drive has made it too snug all around.
Harry,

Something you might bounce off Jason as a place to experiment with? I tried moving the shock mount one hole forward from the "back" position. This was based on some setup advice from Greg "Showtime" Dobrosky off of the 12RR car. For my feel with the CH12, it really suits my driving lines, maybe not for everybody? Seems to have a better "rotation" in the middle corner, maintains corner speed a little better for me. I was having my CH12 "rotate" a bit to quickly and that was scrubbing speed and overheating the fronts. I was chasing a loose condition at the end of the run with front tires that got a little grabby.

Just a thought. Maybe Jason can add to the pluse/minus of making this adjustment?

Aaron