R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New SPEC Class racing motor from EPIC/Trinity
Old 02-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Bishop
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I get the point with Nitro rules etc (I have nitro gear and love it), but I think spec racing in electric has merit, if only because it's the only area in RC when you can pull it off. It also has an ability to tailor speed and power levels, which then has the ability to reduce cost and equipment wear.

As to how many classes, unfortunately I do think the downside of an ability to create different class power levels, is you end up needing at least three (four if you want true novice), you want something entry friendly with some speed, then speed without destruction, then open for people who want and can afford it. (and much of that will depend on size of your track).

I still think dynamic timing would have found a level soonish if left alone, but again to many people just could not get their heads around it (and they just don't want to have to 'tune' a electric system), which is a shame.

Still zero with gearing makes me wonder if it's going to be more expensive long term, I'm already getting this vibe that you 'need' fresh packs (and the geared up amp draw is harder on them?), and go the wrong way on a pinion and your done for the day.

I'll be at the local state titles this year here, maybe racing in 17.5 zero, but I mainly just want to see if anyone blows motors, it seemed a big deal last year when two people blew motors with dynamic.