R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New SPEC Class racing motor from EPIC/Trinity
Old 02-22-2011, 07:38 AM
HarryLeach
Tech Master

As circular as these kinds of issues are in this hobby, give it a year, everyone will be screaming to bring back more boosted classes because it's too expensive to burn up at least one motor a race trying to stay geared as high as possible.

I know when I got back into electric after a long break [around 3 years ago, I think], that was a complaint I had, brushless motors have a much narrower gearing window to find straight away speed and balance acceleration than 27t motors. Once timing started coming into play on the ESCs, finding that speed and acceleration was a matter of gearing conservative to start and playing with software. Once you were on pace, the motor temps were/are at a much more comfortable level.

I still don't see where the real argument is for the proponents of zero timing classes. Is it: a) closer racing, b) cheaper equipment, c) more reasonable speed [in racing!, still cracks me up], or d) more accessible to newbies?

My responses: a) maybe, it certainly puts all the cars close enough for one hack to turn into a NASCAR style "big one".
b) Don't see it. My Tekin RS Pro was $186, nearly 3 years ago, and I haven't had a burnt motor, or a lack of speed. Lack of skill, maybe, but I haven't lacked speed, and my long term costs are quite low.
c) Don't see it. Again, we're racing, the goal is to go fast, that's not changing. You can slow down the equipment, and people are still going to do whatever it takes to find or buy any legal advantage.

And Finally

d) Isn't that the job of the local racers? I've gone out of my way to introduce myself and help a newer racer get on pace so they become a regularly attending racer. Changing the rules isn't going to replace that one-on-one camaraderie most of us appreciate at our local races.

Last edited by HarryLeach; 02-22-2011 at 07:49 AM.