R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What bearing?
Thread: What bearing?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 02:03 PM
tc5 man
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by vwduud
I am still operating under the notion that 1/8 scale offroad racing "eats" bearings (at least wheel bearings).

As a result, I keep a supply of $1.00 bearings (usually Avid Revolutions - rubber shield one side, metal shield on the other) on hand.

Weekly PM is to inspect and replace ANY bearing that feels questionable (NOT smooth).

I got curious one day to try and determine whether or not a "gritty feeling" bearing was due to dirt infiltration or bearing damage (balls, races, etc.).

I removed both shields to be able to thoroughly clean the bearing. After numerous sprays with chemical degreasers and compressed air, I felt fairly convinced that all grease and any other foreign material was gone.

The bearing still felt "gritty" or just not smooth; no different from when the seals were still on.

I stopped there and just assumed ball or race damage due to the high impact the wheel bearings go through during a race on these MX still tracks we have today. On another note, the diff bearings (both outdrive and pinion) last noticeably longer, even though they attract the same, if not more dirt around the bearing seals. Seeing as they do not take the impact that wheel bearings do, I suppose this makes sense. The test I performed above was on a wheel bearing.

So my conclusion is to still keep $1.00 bearings on hand, viewing wheel bearings as disposable items.

I have wanted to try a more expensive wheel bearing just to see if they last any longer. My only experience with ceramic has been replacing the diff balls in my 1/12th scale with ceramic. In that test, I didn't notice any longer life than standard, so I have refrained from trying this in 1/8th scale.

Has anyone done this type of test to determine if you get at least 5 times the life (average) out of a $5.00 ceramic wheel bearing as compared to a $1.00 bearing? Until it's definitive that I can get at least 5 times the life (hopefully more) out of a more expensive bearing, I will stay with the $1.00 bearings. Which in most cases, I get more than 2 club level events on these bearings. Longer on tracks with less MX style jumps (less crashing, harder landings, etc.).

Your thoughts?

on 1/8 buggy the rear hub bearings actaully last with the rubber sealed bearings and thats with plastic hubs from my exprience.

now it also depends on what kind of cheper bearings you have also some are better and last longer than others.

on truggy i whould say get alum rear hubs my smaller bearings in the rear hubs never seemed to last.

i been told on here that cermanic bearings for offroad arent worth the money and require more attention.