R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Genesis R/C Raceway: Marshall Madness Carpet Race March 4-6, 2011
Old 02-16-2011, 09:16 AM
onroad dude
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
I'm gonna respectfully disagree. I've been one of the guys that has done a poor job of setting up an open speedo. As an example, I was getting KILLED in WGT at the Prairie Knights race. Pulled 30 feet on an 80 foot straight and passed everywhere, at any time. I was truly in the way and my motor was 240 degrees with a conservative roll out. Cookie looked at my speedo settings, proclaimed them junk and put in something better. Next run, I went from 18th to 3rd qualifier with a 140 degree motor. 1/2 a second behind Cookie, and Randy.

Sure, you still have to drive it... But I was COMPLETELY tuned out of the hunt (nobody to blame but my own ignorance). And no amount of driving can compensate for what I had going on. I ran the error correction numbers and nobody in the top 10 was driving as accurately as I was from the 18th qualifier spot. What I had was being driven to it's potential, at that time.

What I had was wrong speedo settings, and there was nothing I could do about it but watch and ask questions. Blinky would have solved that.

Same problem in foam touring. We thought it was 13.5 Blinky, and we were getting KILLED for speed by open speedo 17.5 dudes!!! WTH?!? I had Bohlman tell me what he thought I was doing wrong, tuned the ESC, put in a 17.5 and I found 2 laps and TQ'd the next run with a slower motor.

If you don't have a home track, place to practice, gobs of spare time or generous friends, you will suffer with open speedo stuff. And it's unique to the driver just like Brian mentioned as some guys are easy on the trigger, some not.

I didn't realize how important it was until last week. I guess I was kind of in a rut and maybe even potentially lazy with that part of my racing program. It took me a hard week of fiddling here and testing and making a few laps and pulling a car and testing (for a week). I think I'm narrowing in on some setups that will help me...FINALLY. Even a few points in boost in either direction cost me 2/10ths. You gotta know that stuff. I made 1500 laps just yesterday testing. It takes time. A car I like that steers well, pushes for my son Randon. different driving styles.
i will argree to this 100%!!! i was the guy who was killing him by 2 laps on the track. in the main my speedo setings were still better then his and i still had more speed. but Bob had the better human factor! he made less screw ups.

as far as a battery and motor war. face it the guys who run the top will buy new batteries and motors when ever the new ones come out! out at the pkc race i was running on a pack that was 1 year old and a duo 1 that ive had sense it first came out. i finished 3rd right behind the 2 guys i figured would beat me. not because there equipment but there smoother drivers then i am!