R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - non timing non boosted class motor and esc??
Old 02-15-2011, 05:10 AM
Buckaroo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Speedo will not matter as they are all the same when in the spec profile.
That's true, as far as it goes. At the end of the day, there is a major difference in the way that the brakes feel between the different products. Also, there is something very different in the way that they each manage power. I don't know if it's drive frequency, or pulse width, or what, but there's something there.

I used to run novak, and have run the speedpassion, and then switched over to the Tekin. I held out FOREVER against the flow, in spite of the fact that my car just was never as fast as anyone elses, and I was pushing max temps. MANY people have followed my path, too, only to end up giving in to the Tekin.

Why? Because, like everyone else, I found that the Tekin ran a tekin redline, X12, SpeedPassion, and Duo2 motor cooler by a significant degree for a given FDR than the novak or SP ESC. End result....because the Tekin runs the motors cooler and more effeciently, you can gear up significantly, thus going faster.

Example, my GTB ran my X12 17.5 at over 180F, and the brakes sucked. Changing nothing but swapping a Tekin RS in place of the GTB, the motor (at the same FDR) ran in the low 130F and the brakes were stronger and more predictible.

So, I'll agree that at a given FDR, they're all going to make about the same SPEED, but at different temps. So, unless you're limited in the given class to a max FDR, you're going to go faster with any ESC that runs you're stuff cooler because you can gear faster!

Don't believe it? I didn't, either. Then I tried it.