R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 10:56 AM
2-Bad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Park the M05 and find a M03 cause you can usually find one pretty cheap.
Sorry Granpa, can't go that option as I've been given this car to run at Championship events so no option to switch...

Originally Posted by Granpa
Your main problem in the steering is it's tweaked. Ditch the plastic steering. It's only for the highly skilled, which most of us aren't, and get the aluminum upgrades. Crank in enough toe out to get it to run straight. Set up is determined so much on what tires you have, that I won't comment. Copy what the guys at your track are doing.
hmm, a new rack, ok. More toe out!! On RWD 2wd & 4wd cars I've found more toe out will make it wander in a straight line. Is why I took some out. Is it not the same on fwd cars? As for tires, most run Super Grips frt-rr...

Originally Posted by mangoman
2-bad,
Try setting the front ride height as low as possible. I have a nagging suspicion that may also help to reduce the wandering along with massive toe out on the front.

My understanding is that the car hops because the rear is gripping up. Personally i like a lot of rear grip so it doesnt overly bother me when i see it, but the fast drivers would drive with less rear grip than i do and in turn their cars rotate better.
Hmm, ride height... I have it level on 4.5mm atm. I might try playing with that.
The rear hopping I thought was caused by the car feeling "dead" cos the oil was too thick not allowing suspension movement. Dropping the oil wt down from 500 to 400 did help that a little and the suspension feels more lively now too.