R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2wd or 4wd
Thread: 2wd or 4wd
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 04:04 PM
YoungChazz
Tech Elite

Back to the 2wd vs 4wd debate.

There's no question that 4wd is faster. With few exceptions, electric 4wd is the fastest car on the track, including 1/8 gas 4wd. (On really big long tracks, the 1/8 can be faster.) At most races, 4wd runs about 1 sec/lap faster than 2wd, stock or mod.

Some drivers think the 4wd car is slightly easier to drive than buggy. Because everything happens faster, I think they are equal. One thing is certain -- you do NOT drive 4wd identically to 2wd. They are different, and require different techniques.

4wd is more expensive to buy and, because of higher speed, breaks parts more easily. But you're going faster -- yess!!!!

4wd is not as popular as 2wd, which has good and bad points. There aren't as many fast guys running to give you competition. You can't beat who's not running, but it's easier to win.

There are a number of new 4wd cars coming out from a number of different manufacturers, so I believe the Ford vs Chevy thing will reinvigorate the class. There's a new CAT, Jason Ruona's BJ 4X4 will be available sometime, the X - 5 conversion will be out in June, and I understand there's another all-new wheeler in the works.

Perhaps this will help with your decision.