R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tire Chart
Thread: Tire Chart
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 12:48 AM
merdith6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Cool

In texas the same track will change so much in one day of racing, and we have am indoor clay track all the way to a loamy outdoor track, and so it helps to have a wide range of tires.

I tend to stay away from Gridirons and other small pin tires because they get torn up so fast, some of the newer tires hook up great on clay and still have plenty of tread that will last. I dont stick to any brand, whatever works great and lasts is what I buy.

For example. I love the I beam premounts, esp in damp loamy conditions, and if the track is a bit drier I go to the calibers, they really hook up at the river track I race at...That track is loamy usually, but it has a cement turn that doesn't really like I beams or city blocks, so the calibers stay on unless it's super wet.....

On another track Vertigo the I beams only work on wet conditions and the calibers usually don't, the track has more clay mixed in dirt and the line gets hard but still has enough loose dirt to mess up a set of small pin tires....the digits or enduros are the ticket there when it's dry, and maybe the revolver 2.0's, havent tried those...but in the main at night when the moisture comes up and it gets loamy the I beams always work...

Now on the clay track (Mikes) it can have a few dry spots and the small pin tires may work, but usually only when it's wet, if it dries out the Recoil or Revolvers or the Ultra digits work best......the dust makes small pin tires suck, and burn up....A few years ago the gridirons and hole shots were the ticket, but right now, if you look around you can get tires that will last way longer than the classic small pin tires and still work great, and more consistently.....

My point is that having a range of treads is the most cost effective way to hook up....Don't buy every compound tire, get what works in your temp range and focus on treads from large bowties to smaller denser pattern pins insead of really small pins that burn up......and like I said, no tire line covers all the areas, so don't be afraid to try different brands....

And one track can change fast here...During the day it can be 100 degrees and dry as a bone, and at night get really wet from watering or rain in the summer, and moisture too....Under the track...Durin the winter it's not really cold, but can get close to 30 degrees sometimes. It can be dry and cold, the toughest condition....I find the soft or m3 compounds work best, or blue in JC.... year round...so tread is the important factor, and besides if you have a good collection of tires, they last longer because they get used less.