R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Schumacher Mi4
Thread: Schumacher Mi4
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 11:38 PM
grippgoat
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
one tip, the wider you go on the spacers against the bulkhead, the closer your front drive pins get to the edge of the outdrives. if you hit a board they WILL pull out. I did that twice today. its gonna be a bear to find, but I do know that if you use yokomo MR4tc steering knuckles it will move the blades back in. not sure which other makes might fit.
I'll keep an eye on that. I haven't had any problems so far, even snapping a c-hub today. I didn't even notice it was busted for at least a full run.

Originally Posted by skypilot
btw, I was going to use my Mi4lp at nats in 21.5 but i think i will buy a CX just for this race so it will be all fresh and tight. Probably sell it after the race. start saving up. and before you ask, cause for ME, IMO, the shouie is a better small motor car then the xray. or should I say my xray is a better big motor car then the shouie on carpet, I don't have to fight traction rolling.
Used Mi4CX with a dialed H30 setup? My finances should be in order after my next payday on the 15th. PM me when you've got a price in mind. I priced out the spool, diff, and axle parts from Schumi UK, but it was like $170, and at that point it it just didn't seem worth it.

I've only ever had the nasty traction roll issues with the old layout, before we stopped spraying. And even then, I was starting to get it under control. I didn't have issues at NORA, and I'm hoping our new carpet breaks in like that.

How often do you replace the spring washers in the diff? And how often do you replace the diff balls? I've been having some consistency issues with it. When I clean / reassemble it, it seems too stiff when I tighten it enough so that it doesn't slip, and it feels a bit chunky. I'm not sure if it's flat springs, worn rings, worn balls, the way I'm building it (too much grease?), picking up too much grit from the old carpet, or some combination. I'm still on the original balls, rings, and springs, and I haven't been sanding the rings at all. :/ I just got the new balls and springs I ordered, but for some reason I decided not to get new rings. I guess if it doesn't feel good, I'll know it's the rings, or me.

EDIT: I just double checked track width on my setup board... I'm at 190mm at the back of the rear wheels, and about 188mm front, so I can't space things much more.

What's the recommended technique for trimming axles? I need to knock the fronts down if I'm gonna keep using the narrow hexes. Should I just hit it with a cut off wheel, or go at it with a grinding bit of some sort?

-Mike