R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hyper .12 overheating during break-in
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 04:27 PM
DJ_Shakespear
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dadic 78
Well I think I've got this odd problem solved...

I took out the engine last night to (at the very least) seal the thing up. After sealing it up, I inspected the flywheel/CB. One of my clutch springs broke... Odd, never had that before... So, I take it all apart, and after much fussing, realized that the brass taper-cone that the flywheel sits on was about 2mm too long. When I tightened up the bolt that holds the flywheel down, it wasn't exactly holding the flywheel in place rigidly. With a load on it, the flywheel would spin freely. This caused a lot of friction generating a ton of heat, not to mention the "no load" effect it had on the engine.

So, fixed it up, and I'm looking forward to getting it broken in today. Another 2-3 degree day today. Perfect!

Thanks for the help DJ.
AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
I hate that!! I had to do that to my cone as well!!! I don't know why they do that, but it sure is annoying!!
That would have caused alot more problems then just overheating: it should affect your idle as well because you have to keep it high enough for it not to shut down on you!
Ahh well, at least you solved your problem, without my help actually! When I was reading it I thought it was a broken gasket causing it to overheat - it happens, dont really know why.