R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - centax clutch ? HELP !
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2002, 03:54 PM
Dookiestick
Tech Apprentice

Default Picco .15KSR in a Serpent Impact M2

Hey folks! I ned your help!
I just finished assembling a brand new Serpent Impact M2 car. After assembling my centax clutch onto my Picco .15KSR engine, I attempted to install it into the car only to find that it will not fit. The pinion gears and spur gears will not Line up properly. In fact, I can not get the engine to lay down in the mounting spots with the centax clutch on the engine. It is like when the clutch is on the engine it is too big for the engine mounting area. Some time During the assembly of the car, I misplaced the original centax clutch kit that came with the car so I bought a new one by team magic. I then thought that perhaps this was the problem (incompatible clutch) leading to the engine not being able to fit. I then decided to go to a serpent dealer and buy a brand new Serpent Centax clutch that originally came with the car when I bought it. I went to ACE HOBBIES in Burlingame ,CA and spoke to Kevin who is very knowledgeable about nitro cars. He told me that a new serpent centax clutch would not fix my problem and that the problem was with the Picco engine. He stated that Picco makes there big block .15's slightly bigger than the traditional big block novarossi engine and that Picco does this because they want the engine to fit only their car kits. Meaning Picco .15 engines for Picco 1/10th (235mm) scale cars only. He said that if I was set on using the .15KSR I would either have to get special motor mount screws made or dremel my chassis in order to slide the engine back further. It would need to slide back approx. 1/8th to 1/4 inch in order for the gears to line up. I must tell you I left the hobby shop very discouraged. I do have another engine (Novarossi CX15) that mounts into the car perfectly but I was really set on using the .15KSR that was modified by Paris Racing several months ago. When I did compare my Novarossi CX.15 to the Picco .15KSR I did notice that the case is slightly bigger length wise. I am really hoping that you guys can tell me I have another alternative to hacking my chassis up with a dremel or endless searching for some make believe special screws in order to get this engine to fit. I have included a couple of pictures so that you can see that there is not enough room to mount the engine with the clutch on it. Must I use a picco centax or what the hell should I do??
Please help me.