R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Burnt Novak GTB and a LiPO nicely puffed..
Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 AM
unknownmember
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Burnt Novak GTB and a LiPO nicely puffed..

Hi there,

Just as the topic says really but I'm new to this hobby so please bare with me.

It's the GTB Velociti 3.5R and the battery i'm using is a 50C 5000Mah Intellect which i'm confident is capable of providing enough juice but for some reason it puffed up tonight. So after almost crapping myself removing the battery from my car I tried to plug in my second one which is exactly the same model, the plugs contacts sparked and the ESC smoked up.....bye bye GTB. Also I should add that the trans cap was replaced due to an earlier weird incident when I was programming the ESC, the trans cap blew on me.... So that lead me to replacing the cap, tho there's a catch. There was no way I was going to do it myself so I had to get a boffin to do but how he did it was just snipped the two wires of the old/bad cap in half and soldered the new cap to wires instead of de-soldering the bad cap and soldering on the new cap directly to the PCB. His argument was that he didn't want to mess with the factory solder and it was also because he wasn't comfortable soldering on PCBs. Also you may be thinking that the LiPo cut-off was not enabled, that may be indeed. But I'm not so sure because prior to the ESC pooping itself, it worked okay and the LiPo cut-off worked as it should but it was left un-attended for quite some time...about 2 months because I had broken the two drive shafts up front and the replacement didn't arrive till this week. Can ESCs lose their defined settings when not in use for a period of time?

But besides that could someone help me pin down the cause, I'm really confused as to what caused it. Though I'm not expecting to re-use the ESC of course but I'm sure the motor is fine.

Thanks