R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Speed Passion Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 05:05 PM
skypilot
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rocking Donkey
Today whilst racing I have had problems with my esc/motor. I am running the 110 software on a GT2.0 LPF in 13.5 touring in a small hall, indoor rubber tyre. The motor kept going into sensorless mode whist running. When it did this the car would judder whilst running and be something like half throttle. I pulled the car off the track and I knew that it was going sensorless as the green light was flashing.

I turned the esc off and on again and it ran sensored with full power for about a minute, and then went sensorless again. After ~20s the car would slow to a crawl and then get faster, almost up to full speed. When I pulled the car off in this state the red light would come on with the throttle, but the green light didn't come on again at full throttle. Turned the car off and on again, motor ran at full sensored power and the green light came on at full throttle. This wasn't a problem with the radio as I adjusted the end points to make sure that it wasn't due to the high point drifting.

My next thought was that it could be the sensor wire so I swapped that with identical results. I then swapped the motor, and again identical results. All in I tried two motors (one GM and one Novak) with 4 sensor wires (Speed Passion, Losi and Novak), the only constant was the esc.

Sometimes the problem seemed to be triggered by brushing the track markers, but other time it would just go sensorless in the middle of the straight. Could this be a problem with the sensor connectors in the esc, or is it possible that it could be a software problem? I always double flash the esc firmware and reset the esc neutral and end points. Other things I considered were issues with the power capacitor.

I'm hoping that someone may have some ideas before I have to go and buy a new esc. As the problem usually happens about a minute into a race its a bit difficult to diagnose at home. I have never overheated the esc or motors as I run in a 10x10m hall and there is no need to!

Also, I am interested in the GT2.1 EX esc. Is this a completely new esc or is it a different case for the GT2.0? I mainly run 13.5 touring, but occasionally 4WD mod offroad on high grip surfaces and would like one esc for both classes to replace my tired old GTB.

Cheers

Ben, UK
re set the esc to radio. stick with 2.0, and it wouldn't hurt to update your software to the 528 version.