R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TC3 Forum
Thread: TC3 Forum
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 08:16 AM
IndyRC_Racer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

One-ways are currently not allowed in the national rules for VTA. The rule was implemented due to lack of front brakes, which was creating unintentional accidents.

The one-way allows each front wheel to rotate at different speeds. Running a one-way will give you an increased amount of steering on power, especially entering a corner (at the expense of braking). The disadvantage to running one-ways with rubber tires (like VTA) is that you will need to work on your setup to achieve maximum rear grip, or the car will be very loose. When the majority of TC classes were foam tires, one-ways were more common due to the increased amount of traction.

A more common solution to increase steering with rubber tire TC classes without sacrificing braking is to run a front spool. There are 2 different types of spools, a slipper spool and a solid axle spool.

- A solid axle spool is made from one piece of material which the bevel or pully gear attaches too.

- A slipper spool is similar to a regular diff, except that the diff balls are normally removed and the diff rings are replaced with slipper pads.

Associated does make a solid spool for the TC3/TC4, but I believe it is discontinued. You can make your own spool from a regular diff. There are 2 ways to make a spool. The first is to remove the diff balls and replace the diff rings with an abrasive material (sand paper/card board) and tighten down the diff. The second is to glue both diff halves to each other (plastic outdrives).

I would recommend starting out with a normal front diff on the TC3. I had raced my TC3 with a diff at numerous venues (including R/Car in Indy) with a lot of success. The key to racing a TC3/TC4 with a diff in VTA vs. cars with a spool is to maintain a tight line going into the corner and not loose momentum coming out of the corner.

I should be at R/Car on Sunday if you plan to race. Currently I'm racing a TC4 and usually finish in the top 3 in VTA. Last week a different driver set TQ with a TC4. Since both cars share the same drive line, they are still a great option for classes such as VTA.

Brian Smith.