R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Novak Kinetic
Thread: Novak Kinetic
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Charlie
Tech Master

Hi Guys,
So I've been back at Novak full time for a couple of weeks now and have sat down with the NovaLink and worked through some of the issues with a few customers over the phone, and via email. Looks like everything is working well, and we have posted a new NovaLink 1.4 Software, and a New Kinetic 1.4.1 firmware. These both seem to be sound and work well every time.

The main points folks have been missing are the basic window's updates. I actually go the microsoft website and run the update scan they have. This seems to have fixed most of the issues with any of the computers in house that would not run the update correctly. Most of the PC's I had problems with, were resolved after the system update and restart.
2nd issue, and its our own doing, the Firmware installation is a bit tricky. THe main thing is to simply drag and drop the RDD File if the self extractor does not to the trick.
Finally, make sure the USB device drivers on windows updates. This is done by the little balloons in the lower right hand. Make sure you get the balloon that states your new usb device is installed and ready to use.

Beyond those main topics, 1.4 has worked and worked well. Two basic scenarios happen when the install fails.

One, you'll get an ESC that shows no signs of life. The lights won't come on ever. These can usually be fixed by the latest 1.4 Novalink, and 1.4.1 firmware update.

Two, you'll get an ESC that only will flash all LED's 1 time and then be non responsive. These ESC's need to have the brain board replaced as something has been corrupted "somehow". I'm not 100% clear as to what is causing that particular issue, but I've seen it once or twice now and confirmed the issue via some returned ESCs.

SO, if you have any issues what so ever with Novalink, or the Kinetic Firmware process, Please email me directly, [email protected] and I'll do my best to trouble shoot your scenario and find the solution.
We all agree this process is a bit trickier then it needs to be for now, but we're working towards a more easy friendly process.

Download NovaLInk 1.4 Zip.
Open Drivers Folder, Run drivers file. This installs needed drivers.
Open the Install Folder, Run the Setup File, this will install NovaLink.

Download the Kinetic Firmware 1.4.1 Self Extractor. Run the Self Extractor File. It will "Unzip" the file to "C:\Program Files\Novak Electronics\NovaLink"
If the self extractor does not work, you can get the file alone and drag/drop into the same folder.

From Start/Programs/Novak Electronics run the Novalink Device Updater. Then make sure Windows says it's installed the drivers and ready to use. This happens when you first plug in the USB Device.

Now you're ready to update your ESC firmware.

Open NovaLink Program, and connect your ESC.

Click on the "Launch Firmware Updater" Icon that is on the top of the screen.

This opens a small window, click on the UPDATE button in the middle and let it run the updater.

When that is complete, click exit and unplug the ESC from the NovaLink.

Connect your ESC to a radio system and execute the "One Touch Setup".
Now, you're ready to use the NovaLink 1.4.

If you've already downloaded 1.4 previous to "today", uninstall, delete the Novak Electronics Folder, and re download and install the NovaLInk that was posted as of today.

Again, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email me with the issue you've encountered and the errors that report. [email protected]

1.4.1 should address operational gremlins in the ESC itself, and take care of the trick PC Interface issues as well.

Thanks
Charlie