R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Novak Kinetic
Thread: Novak Kinetic
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 03:40 AM
dvaid852456
Tech Regular

Talking 1.4 Upgrade

Well that was as painful as ever!

I downloaded the Full 1.4 installer files and the outloada14.rdd file seperately (not sure why this is on a seperate page) and set about updating everything to 1.4 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

At first the updater program would not recognise the USB Novalink. No matter what I did it kept saying "not connected"

Eventually after unplugging and re-connecting the novalink about 15 times and running the updater again from the very beginning by unzipping the files it updated and the program said to unplug the novalink and reconnect it.

I did this and the PC detected new hardware, all good.

Next I installed the 1.4 software, all good. Plugged in the speed controller and got an error message as expected as the speedo is still on firmware 1.3. Okay, time to upgrade the firmware. I did this and I thought all was well until I tried to turn on the ESC. Completey dead, no lights, only fan.

I ran the firmware updater again 2 times - same thing

Eventually I installed everything on a Windows XP 32 bit machine and did exactly the same thing. SUCCESS!

I'm not sure if it was Window 7 or a 64 bit thing but since the beginning I've been using everything on Window 7 64 bit with no probs. The main thing is to always run everything as admin.

As an IT professional I'm used to working with complicated software and PC's and I must admit, for an average user this is an overly complicated and fussy proccess. Could it not be made more user friendly?

Fingers crossed I can now get back to racing instead of a busman's holiday as an IT GEEK!

On the positive the software looks very nice and is packed full of features, I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into the setup. I'm still getting to grips with a decent setup for my new Exotek HBX chassis but once that is sorted I can finally fine tune the speedo and get some records broken