R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya FF03
Thread: Tamiya FF03
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 06:14 PM
TryHard
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well, my FF03 is built
Have to say, actually enjoyed building a non-TRF tamiya kit for once, although not so keen on screwing into plastic
I have built an IFS suspension on a TB03 before, but I'd forgotten how cool it was to see all the links working. And it's the first brand new gearbox'd car I've built since a TA03FS some 12years ago! Something about cutting fresh screw threads that's satisfying

Put a few options on the car, alloy diff halves, alloy driveshafts, ti screws, spur holder etc, only thing I realise I forgot was the sway bars, but I can pick those up later.
On the driveshaft front though, I cheated and went for the TRF417 axles, which use a spring clip rather than grub screw to hold the cross pin, to try and free up the shafts as much as possible. I did contemplate for a few seconds the VCS driveshafts from Litemodz, but having seen all the not so good reviews decided against that option!

Now just need to spray up the Integra shell (white or blue, hmm), and then mount up some electrics, and good to go.

Only issue I've run into is that the only 13.5t motor I have (going for 13.5t blinky to test for TITC), is an X12, which is a few mm shorter than other motors, so the solder tabs touch the plastic motor brace, unless I rotate the motor almost 180° and have the tabs pointing down and back to the arm. No biggie (and shouldn't have that prob with the handout hobbywing setup), but it's gonna make my install look ugly...

Will post some pics later, took a load of pics during the build.
Ed