R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hyper TT 4wd 1/10th Truggy Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 04:21 PM
twigman08
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by F11972
Does boiling them make them stronger? I had mine on the track for less than 3 minutes, the left side steering knuckle cracked, and the right front lower a arm cracked! This happened just going over jumps and not wrecking. Not impressed!! Once I get it fixed, I wonder what's going to break next!
I'm sorry, but I do't think their is truck out on the market today that is just going to go and break just rolling over jumps.

The steering knuckles don't break from wrecking. You can take some crazy, chassis breaking wrecks and the steering knuckles will hold up. It's hard to explain unless I have your truck directly in front of me, but they crack mostly because the wheel gets pulled backwards too far and basically pulls it out the socket. So somethings gotta give. They don't like to have all the weight of the truck basically being put right their. As in landing directly on the RF or LF wheel. Also lodging it up against a pipe too hard will do it.

I do't have a Hyper 10TT but the Hyper 10SC uses the exact same steering knuckles. I've broken three steering knuckles. All three came from direct hits to the wheel which would cause it to come "out of socket." First one was landing RF first into a wall. All the weight on that wheel. Second one was landing directly on the RF again after a double. This one was so hard it even lodged the truck backwards. Again from all the weight on that wheel. The final one came from coming down a straight and the LF clipping the wall. This again from too much weight onto that wheel and pulling it backwards too far and basically out of socket.

Also, check CVD's after you break one. They could be bent. 2 out of 3 of my CVD's ended up being bent afterwards. They can "easily" be straightened back out though via a hammer actually. lol. They will look good as new and shouldn't bend again unless you again pull that wheel backwards too far.

Basically the steering knuckles will hold up just fine in crazy, chassis breaking, 15 cart wheel accidents. They just don't like to be pulled too far backwards.