View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 09:52 AM
SkarTisu
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tqcookie
Ok, I am going to atempt to help any one who is having troubles with your
TC6 ball cups.

I was taught a long time ago when I got into Helis is there is a right way to install ball cups of this type. There is one side that is different from the other. The side with the numbers on them is molded differently than the other side. The side with the numbers has a larger opening and needs to be placed so the numbers face the ball you are snappiong them on to.

In these pictures you can see the difference in the two sides.

Another thing I learned when I got into helis is a neat way to perfectly size a tight ball cup. Squeezing a ball cup works in a pinch but alot of times isn't a permanent fix. What I am going to show you is not only easy but will make the cups fit perfectly.

1st take a spare ball of the proper size. Not all balls are the same. LOL Take a side cutter grab and squeeze the ball stud two different times 90* apart.

Squezze pretty hard as you ar trying to cut into the ballstud. You should now have 4 cuts 90* apart.

Once you have done this, click the ballstud into your favorite drill.

Pop a ball cup onto the ballstud and spin the drill for a few seconds.

Different drills spin at different speeds so it will take a couple of times to figure how much you will need. Also some cups will be tighter than others. So take your time. After you spin it for a few seconds check it on the car. If it is still tight do it again until it is perfect. I usually get all my tierods setup first then size them as needed. It also makes it easier to hold. Once you get a feel for how long to spin the drill it will go really fast.

I hope this will help those of you having trouble with the fit of your ball cups. Also those of you who think yours are pretty good, give it a shot. I think every one will soon see that AE didn't make a mistake with their molds. They made very good cups that with a little TLC fit absolutely perfect.

Thank you Cookie! Excellent post!