R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Rc10ntc3
Thread: Rc10ntc3
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2004, 12:55 PM
Niklas Edlund
Tech Regular

Default PRO-tip threads

To start off, don't even think about this PRO-mod if you don't know how to handle basic tools...

On the new Version 2 suspension there is a new rear shocktower that is mounted differently from the earlier version. The earlier mentioned "AEfix" (uses std AE parts) or "TheFix" from BMI can solve the "problem" with stripping the threads in the gearbox covers on the front (or back on version 1 suspension). But on the new version 2 rear suspension that solution can't be used. So come up this idea, to do my own type of heli-coil threads.

In the AE #4442B bag that I used for the "AÉfix" is also 2 shorter posts that I threaded on the outside with a M5 threaded dye (just used an 4-40 socket head screw and a 3/32 hextool to drive the tube through the dye. Then I drilled out the right hand shocktower hole with a 4.5mm drill completely through. De-bur the hole with a model knife. The center rear shockmount hole I drilled out from the inside though (upside down) but not completely through, stopped about 1 mm short.

Edit info: on the picture you can see the middle post in its full lenght, actually it needs to be shorter or beveled slightly or it can touch one side of the diff outdrives.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	threaded.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	36553  

Last edited by Niklas Edlund; 04-25-2004 at 09:59 AM.