R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Help me pick the right charger!!! Please!!
Old 03-13-2002, 12:21 AM
CreepingDeath
Tech Rookie

If you want AC/DC, go with the Novak IONIC. Unbeatable quality with a power supply.
IONIC SPECS & FEATURES AT A GLANCE
Dual mode: Ni-Cd linear & Novak Ni-MH2
Highly accurate Novak Ni-MH2 algorithm prevents false peaking & overcharging
Case Size: 5.10” x 4.20” x 2.80” (12.95 x 10.67 x 7.11 cm)
Weight: 22.56 oz., 640 grams (AC/DC model); 13.8 oz., 391 grams (DC only model)
0.5, 1.0, 4.0A constant linear charge
User-friendly interface with easy-to-see LEDs
Can be used with either AC or DC input voltage
Universal Input Voltage: 100-240 volts AC (UL/CE approved power supply); 12-15 volts DC
Charging Capability: 4-7 cells (1.2 volts DC per cell)
Dual inputs to internal (AC/DC model only) or external power supply
Detachable AC and DC cords
Reverse Input Voltage Protection
Built-in cooling fan

Battery conditioning
Thermal and Output Protection
User-replaceable output wires
Millennium-style DC input connector

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want DC, go with the Competition Electronics Turbo 35. The reason why I say get this expensive charger is because its got all the features you'll ever need plus some. You get a charger with 3 repeaks. All your parameters are fully adjustable. Charge amperage(.1A-19.99A, trickle charge(yes or no, .5A), peak detection that doesn't get any accurate than this(.01V-.19V),long lockout(yes or no, 10 minute.), delay time between repeaks, pulse charging parameters for nicads. Now that's just the charge function. For Discharge, you can discharge anywhere from 10A-35A. Fully adjustable discharge cutoff( and even a function where you can discharge your pack using a simulated discharge like its actually being discharged by a motor-2 choices, Onroad and Offroad. Cycle mode for cycling battery packs. Set how many cycles you want to perform, how many cells, set the time between cycles(cool down period). Last but not least, a motor function. This lets you run a lathe or use it to break in new brushes. Set your volts.01V-7.99V and a time(I use 9999sec.) Yep its about $400 for one of these but I beleive its was well worth the money.

Last edited by CreepingDeath; 03-13-2002 at 12:24 AM.