R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Is there any new motor designs for the new year??
Old 01-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Werks
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mb4545
I had very little problems with my 4 stroke bikes...I raced 14 years...6 of those years were at pro level. In a gate of 40 there were no two strokes...

I know there is very little money in development in the R/C scene...but It would be nice to see a manufacture step outside the box instead of copying each others designs.

Wouldn't a split case, reed design be cheaper to make??

4 stroke...yeah i know..thats a far reach...but I bet every competitive racer would have one.
The question to ask would he why? What advantage would there be over what we are currently doing? Then i would ask if you have ever seen a reed engine that operated at 40k rpm lol? The answer to that will more than likely be no and of course there is a reason for that. Point that I'm trying to make is it is nice to say I want this or that but there is a reason that engine designs for cars are the way that they are.

Also ABN (aluminum, brass, nikasil) sleeves were done a long time ago. I know that at least back in 03 when we were the Picco importer Alberto made some and we tested them in on-road. Not sure if anyone else has done them but I'm guessing that the answer is probably yes.

Regarding 4 strokes OS makes one. They weigh a lot more than 2 strokes, they cost more, they do not turn as much rpm but they do have more torque and they are more fuel efficient. I raced a 4 stroke for about 2 years at our local on-road club in our Super 10 class back in 2000 & 2001 so this also is not exactly cutting edge.