R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Speed Passion Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 07:57 AM
spar9368
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spar9368
Hi all,

Am running GT 2.0 with 205 mod software, and I'm running SP V3 3.5 ~ 4T motors at my home track. It is a large open track and I'm running FDR around 8~8.5. Motors are running around 65deg Celsius (with heatsink but no fan).

The problem with my ESC is that somehow sensor unit doesn't work. I've tried different motor and different sensor cable, but that wasn't a issue. I believe it was ESC, so I bought a brand new GT2.0 again and tried, but it worked for like a minute and doesn't work now. The green light on the bottom of ESC is blinking, which doesn't really happened, when it was fine. Both ESC are still working without sensor system.

Can anyone help this issue? Am I running to low turn motor with lipo batteries? Am I overgeared or undergeared?

Thanks in advance.

Sang

Originally Posted by Solara
Sang:

You indicated it is the SENSOR problem....how can you tell it is a sensor problem..? Motor is cogging? Won't launch? Not moving...?

(1) Turn off the THERMAL protection on the ESC, also, turn off the LIPO Cutoff. Just want to test and make sure there are no cutoff engagment to make the ESC not working...you can turn them back on if the problem solved.

(2) Open up the V3 motor and clean up the SENSOR unit within...just dust off or blow off the dust/sand or whatever that might caused the problem

(3) Run it again.....with the timing ring on the V3 motor at the MIDDLE (5*) position.

Please report your result here....Thanks

Originally Posted by spar9368
Okay, here's my report.

The initial problem I wanted to solve was 'Sensor issue', which can be described as follow.

I ran 3.5T to 5.5T motor at my home track, mostly between 3.5T and 4T, and when I first installed ESC and motor, it was fine for like 30seconds.

And then it suddenly works like no sensor system. I don't see any performance difference with or without sensor cable, and I tried 0 DMTS timing and 26.25 timing (value 8), and there was no difference in the performance at all. So basically so far it is safe to say that sensor system has some kind of issue.

Both ESC and motor was brand new, and I thought I might have damaged in that 30sec period, so I've put the new motor and ESC again, and then same thing happens again. Of course I've tried different motors and different cables, and it all goes to the same problem. And on the bottom of the ESC, green light was keep blinking, so I guess it would have some problem.

I've then turned off any sort of protection, and it still does the same thing. Over Heat protection is off, so as voltage cutoff. But it still does the same thing.

When I re-boot the ESC (as in turn off and on again), green light is gone and it just seems fine. And then I try to accelerate a bit, like 30%, then green light is back again flashing. So I guess it is safe to say ESC is doing something wrong. BTW, motor was cogging when I slightly accelerate.

FYI, I have been used about 20 SP V3 motors, and I know a few top drivers at my local track runs pretty much the same timing and gearing, so it shouldn't be this bad. Motor and ESC was never thermalled too. I might try SP V2 motors, but then again I might have some same problems.

If anybody knows any better solution, please let me know.

Okay can someone fix this problem?

Apparently speedy doesn't work with sensor system. I upgraded my speedy to 528mod version, and still have the same problem. It has green light flashing on the bottom and works like no sensor system is working. When I turn it on, it is fine, but as soon as I hit the throttle, green light comes back on and no timing system is working. I've turned off all those protections and stuff, and yet it is still doing the same thing. The performance is identical with or without sensor cable. Btw, green light does not flashing, if I test without sensor cable at all. So I guess it is some problem with sensor function

I've tried different motors, including a few brand new, and also have replaced a few sensor units, and all came back with the same result.

Bottom line:

1. Had 2 brand new speedy and 6 brand new motor, and no success
(motor sensor timing was fixed at 5 deg)

2. Changing sensor cable and sensor unit in motor didn't help

3. Upgrading software didn't help

4. All protection was turned off while testing

5. I used LCD programming card, and whenever I changed the setup, it was saved and changed, so there's no argument on this matter

6. Am using 10awg wire on battery and motor

7. Neither motor and speedy was hot at any stage
(motor came back with 65deg celcius and speedy was just cold)