R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Lee Ricker Passing
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 01:26 PM
grubster
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm sorry to here it. Lee was good man, who will be missed by all that knew him, and a magican at setting up a pan car. What I remember about Lee was his ability to take junk and make it fast. The story that stands out for me was when we had the carpet onroad track behind West we hosted the ROAR Reg 3 race many years ago. I was thinking about not even running 1/12 mod because I didn't have a good motor, and my car was not quite right(you can run stock with a less than perfect car...1/12 mod is a little different.) Lee asked me, "what do you got for a motor?" I pulled out whatever piece of junk I had and he took it and said, "give me your car." I had nothing to loose so I said "OK"...I have no idea what he did to it but the short story is my car handled great and was a missle. During the main I a brain fart, crashed, ripped the antenna out of the car and I thought it was game over. Lee grabs the car, quickly fixes the antenna and gets me back on the track. I'm about 3/4 of lap down to Skeen and was having to slowly work my way back. I was geared very high for the main so I was only pulling about 3/4 throttle down the straight the first 6 min. to conserve battery.(the good ol' days) I knew I couldn't just rip on it early or I would have nothing at the end. I was slowly gaining time but it didn't look like it was going to be enough to catch Skeen. I could here Lee talking to someone under the driver's stand saying, "He aint done yet, He's not even pulling on it yet!" "Wait and see, Wait and see". At the 6 minute mark I start easing into more and more. At the 7 minute mark I was ripping on it. The guy talking to Lee was like "holy ^%&*$!" I could feel Lee's satisfaction as he watched his creation starting to take chunks of time. The race ended with a last lap pass to take the win. I looked down and Lee and he was just grinning ear to ear as he picked up my car off the track. I think he was more pumped about the win than I was...............Thank you Lee.