R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HoBao Hyper 9E thread
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 07:28 AM
Chuck 21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tq_danpatterson
I don't mean to bash on you or try to prove you wrong, Chuck, but your claim that people stopped running the 9e because they "could not get it to turn" sounds like an unfounded rumor to me. Not knowing those people, I can't say anything about their ability to set their cars up to handle like they want. All I know for sure is that the 9e undoubtedly will handle and turn as good or better than you will ever need it to, with very little effort on your part. You spent $400 on a toy car that has all the potential and more to do what you need it to do- use it! All you have to know is how to set it up.

I've never had steering issues with my 9e that were directly related to the front caster angle. There are plenty of things you can do to get more steering out of any car. Let me share with you one super-easy, tiny change that I just made on my 9e which has made a HUGE difference in my car's ability to rotate through corners. Switch to the 2.5-degree rear toe blocks. As soon as I did that (coming from the 3-degree blocks), my car had almost too much steering. It is very precise now, to the point that most novice drivers would call twitchy, but works for me. I can make the rear end of the car swing around at literally any time with the 2.5-degree toe blocks. It's scary to imagine how much rotation it would have with the 2-degree blocks.

I'd also like to say two more important things about my setup:
Tires: Indy RC World, Garland TX (indoor, hard-packed clay, cool temps): AKA Enduro, Super-soft
Diffs: 7-7-5

I've let guys who are faster than me drive my 9e at Indy, and even with the 3-degree toe blocks, they said my car had plenty of steering. I'm talking guys who average 1-second faster than me -every- lap! I'm no pro, but I'm no slouch, either.

Thanks for the info. I never took it as a bash at all"

I've only ever raced at one other track with traction like WC I mean when
you corner marshall at WC your shoes try to pull off your feet, if your not
careful they will come off.

When I ran at the other track years back we all took all the castor out of
our cars to get them to turn because the track was like racing on VHT
(GLUE") I'm talking turning free so they role through the center without
binding up scrubing speed. You can make anything turn tight loosing
speed through the center...Thats easy anyone can do that"

So when these guys tell me this was the reason their not running the
Hyper 9 anymore at WC,all I can do is take them at their word because
I've seen this before.

I don't have my buggy yet it should be here today or monday so without
driving it all I can do is wait & see. In the mean time I'm just covering the
bases asking this question in case I need a plan "B"...