R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Late 2010 best buy on Engines
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 12:25 PM
nitroexpress
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Werks
Don't take anything that I'm saying as attacking you, were all good from that perspective. But it you look at our thread you will also see people saying that they have 8 gallons on their B5 and it's still going strong so I would take all of that as a grain of salt. The reality of the matter is that most people will be able to get 6 to maybe 9 gallons out of most brands of engines P/S if they know what they are doing and know how to tune. Anything over this is in my opinion for the most part an anomaly or just good luck lol! I also understand the example that you are using on re-build costs but lets look at it from another stand point assuming an equal 8 gallon life out of both companies p/s and a rebuild:

Werks

Break in 1/2 gallon of gas at $28 a gallon = $14
P/S Set = $110
Break in of 2nd P/S using 1/2 gal = $14
Bearings, no need to replace
Rod ' $40

Total Costs = $178

The Brand that you referenced

Break in 2 gallon of gas at $28 a gallon= $56
P/S/R Set= $85
Front Bearing= $7.99
Rear Bearing= $15.99
Break in of 2nd P/S using 2 gallons of gas= $56

Total Cost = $220.98

So to run 2x P/S/R though brand B actually ends up costing 25% more than with ours!

I will also add that if we again assume an 8 gallon life out of both brands p/s with ours you are actually getting 7 1/2 gallons of use at optimal performance. The other brand takes 2 gallons to break in so you are only getting 6 gallons of use at optimal performance. Consider that over the life of 2 p/s sets and you are getting an additional 3 gallons of racing use out of our engine which is another 1/2 of brand B's p/s set so in essence it's like comparing 2 rebuilds of our engine to 2 1/2 rebuilds of the other brands (so 25% more life) and then the numbers look like this:

Werks
Total costs same as above, $178

Other Brand

Total costs above $220.98 + 25% = $276.22

This is the actual costs that you are looking at to get 15 gallons or racing use out of both brands of engines! And that cost is actually 55% more with brand B than what you spend on ours using the last example which represents the true racing use that you get out of the engines. This is just math and nothing that I can twist, alter, lie about or anything else, it's just the hard numbers!

So where is the savings at???? It's actually a little surprising when you actually look at the numbers isn't it!
I can understand your need to stretch the facts because of the Asian heat you have been feeling, but get real.

I don't care how tight a Go clone is, it isn't going to take two gallons of fuel for break in. Maybe the old ones, but not the current crop. And why are you assuming new bearings? Are the Werks bearings really going to last through two P/R/S sets? Maybe yes and maybe no. Not many people would replace a P/R/S without also doing the bearings in any engine. So it's really a wash.