R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GT10 / Has it got a future
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Serzoni
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by heretic
To me the reasons why WGT doesn't work that well are the following:

#1 foam tires. Once you understand how important they are ( diam/ rollout/ride height/ timing the additive separately for front and rear) you realise you're gonna spend most of you race days manipulating tires. Of course I am aware of that and perfectly OK with it, but I understand it can turn people off to spend 45minutes massaging , rotating, truing , timing their tires to play for 8 minutes or less,when they could be be racing rubber TC or even better, Offroad. On this very forum I have seen people advised to start onroad with WGT, coming from offroad. I'd be very interested to have their opinion now.Who could argue that 235mm pro10 wasn't mainly killed by tire war ? But magically the misinformed newcomers who got excited by WGT neglected this.

#2 downforce. People were complaining about wedge bodies(1/12) and uniform body choice (TC). BAM one year later they have both : A wedge sophia GT that is neither realistic nor has good downforce compared to a pro10 body. Some people just never learn anything. Again, my sig says it, I couldn't care less about scale looks or diversity and I think the sophia looks terrific, but most of the WGT enthusiast seemed to care about these things.

#3 as said earlier it it not as nimble as 1/12 and not as stable as 235mm. Well, WGT was a stillborn class if you ask me. I'll still happily run my lovely RC10L3 in practice, but advocate for a class ? Sure not, I'd rather race 1/12.
#1 Tires didn't kill 235mm- motors and batteries made the cars way too difficult to drive. If WGT is ran with the spec tires (lilacs f/r), then the tire war argument is pretty much thrown out the window.

#2 An approved body list with specs similar to the GBS used by touring cars would fix this.

#3 I agree, I'd rather (and do) run both 1/12th scale and 235mm over WGT any day.