R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tragic Accident at Titiwangsa
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 04:19 PM
sim600
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

So sorry to hear this. It's the saddest news I have ever read on this forum. I'm not one to tell people how to do their jobs, or run their businesses or spend their associations' funds, but I totally agree with Mike that safety has to be given more thought on some of the drivers stands. I've been climbing rocks since 2003 and have seen many young kids climb and I can say that different kids react to height differently. Many of the very young ones have absolutely no fear at all! High or low, ropes or no ropes, it's all the same to them!

At the RC Planet stand, my son (3 years old at the time) went up the stand but was unable to look down at the track because all the sponsors' signs obstructed his views, so he lost interest in going there quickly. He'll be maybe 7 or 8 years old before he is tall enough to look over the boards. This could be a good idea. Also maybe some "No Climbing" signs on the back of those boards might help too. For drivers with young kids, perhaps the first safety measure we should consider is to educate them on the dangers.

Only issue I see is access to a good view for disabled drivers or young racers. I can't think of a 'perfect' solution that is safe, fair, easy to maintain and foolproof so something's got to give somewhere, but personally, I don't think it should be safety.