R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI's new F1
Thread: HPI's new F1
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 02:00 PM
MikeR
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dynamic_e
Car is exotek chassis(fatty oring under the back bolt of the t-bar as per instructions), hpi softs front and rear, orange middle shock spring

Problem is lack of steering, so I first lightened the front springs from .04 to .02s. Still no front traction, so then I put a few oz of weight on the front nose, thinking it was lack of weight. Each time I cleaned the tires and sauced them.

A pan car guy reccomended putting goo in the center dampener, so I put in spedmerchant medium tube goop on the top and bottom disk. Car was a little more respnsive and steering started to come up, but then when taking corners at speed, rear end of the car would shudder(maybe the tires trying to slip on the carpet) and often when letting off the juice would spin out. Car has factory t-plate. Another pan car guy reccomended going up in center spring tension to speed up weight transfer. I gave up for the night and just ran my good ole reliable F103 w foams.

I still want to figure out this car. I am running on high traction carpet, silvercan, mini lipo etc.
No contest to compare an F1 on foam vs F1 on rubbers. Number one comment on the HPI tires is that the car becomes too hooked up- simply because the HPI front 'softs' just do not generate enough front bite on high grip tracks. Great for outdoor low grip tracks for sure.

More Steering- A few more steps you can try is to move the steering link IN on the knuckles and OUT on the steering rack. Take out the 2mm spacers on the front upper inner arms. Add 2-3mm of wheel spacers to the rear wheels (make the rear width wider).