R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hyper TT 4wd 1/10th Truggy Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 11:36 AM
QDRHRSE
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yosh70
Other than gaining more driving experience, what things made the TT more raceworthy? Were these adjustments, upgraded parts, or.....?
Mostly adjustments. The first thing I did was install the recommended ackerman bar (shorter I think?) and bearings in the steering. Then I took it to the track and raced it. It was terrible! The worst part was it was nose diving like there was 8 ounces of weight on the front bumper.

So, the next week I pm'd R2 and asked him how his was set up. After talking to him I replaced the springs with the Ofna Blue springs and changed the oil in the shocks per his recommendations. He said 25 front and 20 rear. I didn't have any 20 so I put 25 in all around. I went back to the track and it was handling better but something was not right....I had bent shock towers and some other damage from the last race that I neglected to notice. It was better but still not right....

This week I took the front end all apart, replaced the shock towers, set the droop, adjusted the shock collars and finally, last night, took it back to the track. I was able to run a practice pack through it and it felt pretty good. With everything correct and the suspension sorted out I was able to rail. I took it easy in the first heat and rolled some of the jumps and drove as to not crash or break anything. I finished in the middle of the pack but it was very easy to do. In the second heat I came alive, started to do the tripple, and was on the gas. Despite a couple of crashes I was able to make my way through the pack twice and nobody could catch me.... I TQ'd. In the main I went nuts and crashed a million times like a rookie but ran a couple of blistering laps, one of which was a track record (shared by 2 other people) but failed to secure the win. I'm confident that with some practice and a little more steering I could shave over a second off that #. I think the key thing that the TT allowed me to do is keep my average speed up. It also accelerates like nothing else on the track but that might be more of a function of the Castle 3800 (geared with a 15T pinion).