R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Which Ceramic bearings for my tc3?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2004, 05:43 PM
koabich
Tech Master

Originally posted by MC_RR
should I clean and oil them too before using, and how do I remove the seals without damaging them?
It is not necessary to remove the seals and clean them out. These are the first bearings I have never had to remove the seals, clean them and then re-lube them when new. They are super smooth right from the package. Install them in your car and put about 5-6 packs through them to break them in. That's it, once they are broken in, they are perfect.

In fact you should never have to remove the seals.

Keep in mind that there were two kinds of red seals. When they were first introduced, they had a red see-through seal. If you get a set of these, after about 6-7 months of hard racing (at least at a track similar to mine) clean them out with motor spray and use the Acer Sin bearing lube...one drop in each bearing is all that is needed. No need to remove the seals.

The newer seal is a little different. It's still red but you cannot see through it. This is a better seal and than the see-through ones and offers less resistance when the bearing is rolling. I have yet to have had to clean these...even after one full season of racing. They are still as good as new.

I run these bearings in all my cars. I have had the same set in my TC3 (my main car) for over 2 years and have never had to replace one and have only had to clean and re-lube them twice and I run at least 10-15 packs through my car a week on a carpet track.

Do not waste your money on any other bearing set...including other ceramics. There are other companies out there that are like $10-$20.00 cheaper. They have metal shields that allow dirt and carpet into the bearing making you have to clean them out as often as other non-ceramic kits.

I would also look into the Acer ceramic diff balls. I have been using them in for over 1.5 years and have never had to replace one!