R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Why not a national points system?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 02:59 PM
henry
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
I think that taking a page from SCCA might be a better idea. they have regions with their own events, plus a few major events that bring in racers from all over and then finish with a national championship at the end of the year.

Make it a full week event much like the Runoffs. have 2-3 carpet events and 2-3 asphalt events that can offer double points throughout the year or some sort of incentive and then have the top 2-5 in each region points get an invite to the end of year nationals. You could have these classes (using the ROAR class structure):

Expert 12th
Expert World GT (10.5)
Expert Touring
Sportsman 12th
Sportsman World GT (13.5)
Sportsman Touring
Open 12th
Open Touring
F1
RCGT
Vintage Trans-Am

This is all just stuff I have in my head right now but at least this is being thought about again
I was pretty much thinking on this level.

I think maybe if we had a limited regional series where a certain number of the points leaders in every class got to go to nationals that could work as well. It'd have to be run alongside each tracks point series.

I'm only talking maybe about 3 or 4 races for each region championship. This, I think would mean that the regional championships would have to broken down more by population than by the current geographical regions. And this somewhat coincides with my whole spiel about promotion. If a regional champion could open up an r.c. car magazine and see their name in there that's exposure for them and a chance for manuf. to get exposure for their products given manuf. more value in return for sponsoring drivers.

I truly believe that if the manuf. saw more value in ROAR they'd be more inclined to get more involved with the racing end.

And the whole thing about travel is that if an individual doesn't want to drive several hours to a regional is that same person going to want to drive double that (or more) to a national?