R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Quit blaming the engines, mileage vs. runtime.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:25 PM
DJ_Shakespear
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
On everything you say I have to agree with you, however I still think the engines have a bigger part in the runtime issues then you say they have.

The three engines I run regularly are all fast as hell but the runtime I get with them vary quite a lot.

With the 2005 MF12 I can do 6 minutes, this engine still has the standard style crank which is a hugh fuel saver if you ask me.

With the Capricorn Lab E01 BC I can do 5:20-5:30, this is the fastest engine I have and has the most mods done to it I've ever seen.

With the RB R3 RC I can do 5:10.

When I still had a JP factory engine I was really struggling to make 5 minutes, but this engine revved like there was no tomorrow.

I can drive my qualifiers with a maximum deviation of about 0.2 seconds so this isn't causing it. The crank and burnroom have the most influence on runtime regarding engines.
In Bold, that is completely right - to an extent with the crank.
The longer and/or earlier you have the crank opening (within limitations) can determine how much fuel/air mix you can get into the combustion chamber.

With the topic at hand, a friend of mine has a GRP engine, orange head, and at the track we run at, I run about par with him, yet he can do a few laps, start the race and finish with 1/4-3/8 of a tank left! Yet I start racing on a full tank and Im left with maybe 20-40 secs of runtime! Im not entirely sure if it was because I had a bad tuning (issues with my engine, RB T10) but that just shows that you can run more than 5-6 minutes on a single tank.