R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC
Old 12-06-2010, 06:25 AM
Paul L
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by CraigM
what the hell is a hillbilly link?? sorry, new to xray

Hey Paul, quick one for ya, I had my T3'11 whippin today but it was punishing its tyres (or tires as you upside down fellas call them), especially the rears. I'm running kit setup with the H roll centres on the front, shocks laid down 1 hole front and rear, and 500 MM oil. I was gonna go to 600 oil, is there anything else I can try? thanx in advance, party on
The hillbilly link is the super long angled link that runs to the shock tower mounts, looks kina funny.

softer cars will be easier on tire wear, chassis, oil, spring. but i dont really put that to use when setting up a car.
I try and set the car up to where it has the most possible amount of steering and traction. then when you drive the car smooth and without turning the wheel very much to get the car turned my tire wear is great. when i can do that i am always very fast. at the reedy race i was very successful in doing so to the point of which even the TRF team was pondering my lack of tire wear. Its easier said than done but maybe check out that set up on the XRAY site and see if anything stands out to you.
thanks

Originally Posted by to slow for you
got a quick question about a eazy way to change t-2 2006 to lipo set up with out buying a new car thanks
Hi. In my opinion the set back to that car for lipo is that the motor is farther off center than the more recent models, this will make you run the lipo farther off center or use more weight on the battery side of the car to make it ballanced. you could make peces out of an old top deck to raise the deck and get the battery tucked in but i dont think it would help do to the motors position. i would put the battery in at an angle (not under the top deck) and find a good way to secure it, then ballance it out with lead and see where you stand. I wish i had a better answer for you but i think the car will still work well.

Originally Posted by jkirkwood
Paul, what front to rear weight bias percentages have you been running running on the T3'11? Thanks.
For carpet i have been running the car more front heavy than stock, I have long rear wheelbase, short front, speedo behind the servo and 15G on each side in front of the servo and battery. i dont know what % that is. for asphalt it will most likely be more rear heavy.

Originally Posted by RCknight
Yeah I got that, my question, is it the same with the T3'11?
Going back to my first post on steering = good tire wear. the T311 has really good natural roll and steering, so i think that it will be easier to get the proper amount of steering needed to drive smooth and have good tire wear on asphalt. There are not any design aspects in my mind that will simply make it not wear tires but since it has more natural steering i think it has the potential to wear less tire if applied.

Thanks