R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Short Course Setup Methods
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Racecrafter
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by camocowboy
I hate to even say something here but its killing me. I personally know a few of the top guys in the country and most likely the world. They don't have frieking mechanics. They wrench on their own stuff just like you and me. They do it alot more often and meticulously most likely. They use all the setup tools we do. Camber gauge, ride height gauge, caliper, etc. Most I know don't use a setup board and almost always eyeball front toe. There is a way to check it with a flat surface and camber gauge (or iphone), but most don't do it. They don't get their stuff pre-setup. If you see one of them with a mechanic at a big race he is usually just their pit guy and does what they tell him. Especially the american drivers. The closest thing I've seen to a mechanic is Cav's dad who is very hands on. Mayfield, Fischer, Drake, Truhe all do their own. You really think the guy pitting for Drake touches his motor without looking up to see what he says first. HA!
+1

I was Ryan Lutz's "mechanic" during the Kyosho years. My job was to wrench engines on what ever Ryan needed. 99% of the time it was himself. My role was the second set of eyes and brains for set up and advice. (That and 2 second pit stops