R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 01:48 AM
bjspinner
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caltek1
For the MO5 ball diff, I now use the steel outer diff drives from the MO5Ra car and then modify the 416 diff bolt to accept a 2.5mm bolt. Then use a x-ray steering bearing in place of the thrust bearing and assemble as normal, using red loctite on the bolt and tighten as you see fit.

I then leave the assembly to dry for 24 Hrs and then run the car. I have found this to be much longer lasting than the standard alloy MO5 diff drives. I have found that for our racing here in australia using the HW BL system you want the diff tight otherwise you get left behind, due to lack of drive.

However at the Masters on the weekend even with the diff done up tight, it sounded like it was slipping.I might add an extra washer over the bearing to prevent damage when tightening and to act as a spacer to tighten further.

My thoughts only. However the best solution is the TAO3 ball diff which alleviates modifying the standard MO5 diff. I just use an extra large cone washer and replace the thrust bearing with a 1150 ball bearing and use fuel tubing in the diff outdrives to prevent stripping of the splines.

Regards,

Calvin.
Durango gear diff