R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - crank shaft play.. bearings are good.. w/pic
Old 11-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Maximo
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by builtb16a
cool guys, i don't think im going to put much worry into it anymore. now, vertical play would have my concern, and would put alot of stress on the conrod and piston, but im ok with a little axial play.

my collet is snug, and the crank was pulled all the way through, its just the crank is a tid bit longer than ive come across and its sloppy in the case.

now i don't know at 220-240°. it might not be as noticeable, and the front bearing isn't leaking, so i guess just keep an eye on it.
Its impossible for a crank to be too long and allow axial movement like you describe...if the crank is truly pulled all the way forward it will butt up against either the front or rear bearing locking it from coming forward...and if your collet is snug it will lock it against your front bearing and prevent it from moving back...the only way possible for it to move if its truly pushed all the way forward is if the inner races of your bearing allows movement.... You need to fix this if the crank is not all the way forward, as this kind of movement can allow your conrod to come into contact with the backplate.........There is no way the crank is too long, and even if it was you would still be able to lock it in place... If i were you I would pull the flywheel off and install while you push on the crank from the inside of the engine...if it moves then it means you have movement in the bearings, it can be nothing else.