R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - $$$ to make it race ready R40 or MTX3?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Frag
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by InitialD
Agreed that the R40 is cheaper and that HPI parts tend to be cheaper overall but I think Frag is seriously looking into racing the car. That would mean to get whatever it takes to get the car up to performance. So performance hop ups is what Frag is looking for. Correct me if I'm wrong. If that is what Frag is looking for, then the MTX-3 is a better buy as lesser things to get to make it race worthy.

Perhaps Frag should step in and be more specific on what types of hop ups he requires on his car.. What level does he expect his car to perform and where does he see himself in RC racing...
You read my mind InitialD!!!

Here I go:

I am in the nitro world for the last 3 years, so I am really familiar with it. But it doesn’t mean that I have knowledge in championship racing right . My driving skills are good, but I never raced in a point championship. I actually own my old HPI Racer 2 and a Savage SS truck. I love my racer 2, but you will all agree that it’s not a race car at all.

So my goal is to be competitive in a racing club for a season championship. I know that most of the guys run the MTX3, the Serpent 710 and some the R40.

But as I told you, since I am not a racer yet, I cannot really guess what I will need to upgrade to be competitive. I can guess that I will need a front one way diff and stronger shock tower… but I am not sure of what parts I will need to put on later this season. It’s why I am asking in general term if the R40 and MTX3 are the same price to upgrade.

I live in San Jose, California.