R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Good Buy???
Thread: Good Buy???
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 08:40 AM
JetMD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The starter kit they show looks like everything else you'd need (except fuel and maybe batteries). If you get it, i'm sure the instructions won't tell you but, you'll want to warm the engine up with a blow dryer (or heat gun) before you try to start it the first time. Hate to say this but, be careful because nitro is flammable and plastic melts. They should have an engine break-in procedure but these motors are very tight when new and you'll get blisters trying to get it running the first time. Wear gloves! Wish i'd thought of that when I had my first car.
Also, something to consider will be replacement parts. It will break and when it does, you need to think about where you're going to get parts. If you have trouble finding them now, before you get it, you might want to reconsider this car. Most people will suggest finding a local hobby shop and talking to them because they should be able to support the car if you buy it from them.
I'd also suggest trying to find someone that has run nitro before, whether off-road or on-road, it always helps to have someone there with you to help you with tuning and checking the car over to make sure it was put together right. One of the problems with ready-to-run cars is that sometimes, things aren't always put together correctly. I had a friend that had a RTR buggy that didn't have loctite in all the right places and his differential gear came off and destroyed his differential and driveshafts after only running it a couple times. It's usually a good idea to tear a RTR car down (kinda defeats the purpose huh?) and loctite any screws that screw into something metal.