R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mantisworx F1 chassis!! sneek peek
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 05:22 AM
JevUK
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by robk
which became the dominant design. It's not that these things haven't been tried, it just turns out simple is usually better.

I don't think simple designs are faster. There are many problems with the more complex designs that stoped them taking off. Back then power was much lower so 4wd was not that much of a help. It takes more work to get a complex design to work best, trial and erro with geomtry etc.

Touring cars are now dominant onroad and they are more complex than those examples. The 4wd helps a lot when there is so much power available.

Do you think a ball diff is superior to a torson diff? Why have no 1/10th cars got torson diffs? Because it would be too expensive and difficult to make. The ball diff succeded as much because it was cheap and simple as much as anything else. At the time the cars schummacher made ball diffs for would have struggled to fit gear diffs on them(pan chassis). Do 1/8th or 1/5th cars use ball diffs?

Anyway back on topic . Mantis I aplaud you for going out there and creating your own dream machine but the rear geomtry will not be helping. I have a ball link pro10 and can get it to handle well but I am in no illusion that it is an optimum design. For a start the roll centers are wrong and cannot be adjusted. And even on the chassis were the link are aligned with the center ball the system it requires slop or flex for the pod to pivot.

Rear independant suspension is not allowed in the rules of pan cars. To have independent suspension you would either need a flexible driveshaft or cvd/uj's at each end which is forbidden.