R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - How do you adjust engine timing on nitro engines?
Old 11-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Chickentrader
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ausrcnut
I have a stock engine that Im breaking in, another MGT 8.0. I have the fuel mixture screws set at what the manufacturer states, but as soon as it gets warm is doesnt want to idle well. The idle flutters around fast as if the engine's running rich then lean then rich then lean, at a fast rate....etc. Ive tried tweaking the HSN and the LSN to see if I can get it stable. But it just stalls. Also, it wants the glow igniter left on, when I take it off, it stalls as well, once the oscillating idle happens. Like I said, I have the FMS's set at factory settings and have also tried to adjust. It starts up well at cold.... everything is stock including pipe. Is this normal in a break in....? Ive never had this kind of trouble before, not even on an engine that I have modified, and this is stock....?

If anyone has any idea's, be mucly appreciated.

Respect...!!!!!!!!!!
Glow plug or air leak problems is the cause of this. First try a new glow plug. If that doesn't work: plug exhaust and carburettor intake with Plasticine, and blow into the fuel hose with the engine in a bucket of water (hold Plasticine in place with your fingers whilst blowing). The bubbles will tell you where the leaks are.

Kindest regards,
Lars.