R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car
Old 11-11-2010, 01:43 AM
sosidge
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Lohan
I have got myself a Photon - got it second hand for 132 - the person who had it before me had one arm the wrong way round to the other side, shims in one side that's not the same on the other side

I think the last owner gave up after one run as the car is unmared.
Not a surprise to hear that... I've seen plenty of people "give up" on a car over the years, and then when you look at it, they have assembled it wrong...
Now I have a few questions:

1. How can I tell if I have a v1 or v2 shock?
2. are any parts interchangeable with other cars - in particular are the steering arms interchangeable with TAmiya ones
3. IS the Lipo chassis a worthy upgrade?
4. should I flip the belt on the current chassis?
5. to stiffen the car up shall I just get the US Foam parts - (I am running indoor rubber set up)

tips will be appreciated

Lohan

A few rough answers...

1. If you open up the bottom seal on the shock and the parts are black it is probably a v1.
2. I don't think its worth going down that route. Any change will have knock on effects down the line. The car can be made to work just fine with TOP parts.
3. I still run 6-cell chassis (with a custom-made LiPo tray, although it isn't even necessary). Haven't tried the dedicated LiPo chassis.
4. If it will allow you to, yes - although it sounds like you have the standard 6-cell chassis, so flipping the belts requires some Dremel work - not worth it in my opinion because the balance gains from flipping the belts are small, and the risk of weakening the chassis is slightly higher.
5. Indoor rubber with the 6-cell chassis - go with the rubber medium top deck. All the other parts rubber kit. That should be stiff enough.