R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - NEW HOBBYWING STOCK SUPERCHARGED SOFTWARE
Old 11-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by COBRARACING
why would i need an oscilloscope to prove it ? Just a multimeter is perfect which has a resistive circuit already connected in series with the circuit .The multimeter will give you the same as the osci just the osci you need a resistor is series then divide the voltage shown on the oscilloscope by the resistance to determine the current or even a more expensive way is to use a current probe.why would i go to so much trouble ?

Low esr caps are another way to cut losses .losses do exist not matter cap or wiring .Shorter thicker wire may it be copper,silver,tin or anything else can hold more electrons and flow much easier then thinner wiring everything makes a difference .Heat creates losses its fact

Maybe its losses are min and maybe not make much of a difference but to say its speculation your misinformed as in audio when they use those massive 1 farad caps there are major losses and proven.

min i believe 100% but as for speculation you are 100% wrong .
This is all speculation.
Do the math (yes) regarding actual effects of power caps. (start with time constants), work out just how much(little) power caps will help sagging power supplies in average RC cars.
Do the math regarding actual cable losses from 2-4 inch's or so of cable.

The audio crowd are the biggest suckers for perceiving effects from cables that arnt actually there.

You would need a scope to actually see whats going on, the current will be going through in pulses & most MM's are really designed to measure that.

But I'm not an expert either.
Id also like to see some real proof one way or the other. I suspect the power caps are there just to filter the power going into the escs circuitry , ie remove hash, noise & spikes.
Just my speculation.

I can confirm thats all the power cap I had to stick on the Spektrum RX did, I scoped it up. Lots of noise coming from a el-cheapo servo causing RX to reset. Nothing to do with compensating for power(voltage ) losses into the RX.