R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Durango DNX408 Prototype
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 09:29 AM
DRCRacer299
Tech Regular

Hello everyone, sorry for not responding sooner. Been very busy practicing at the Worlds and attending the R/C Pro Finals in Texas.
Let me answer a few of the questions to the best of my ability.

Originally Posted by jewn_beef
the car looks good all though i dont know how many roll overs that weird wing is going to take before it cracks and breaks does not look to be to strong
The wing doesn't break. After the crashes I took in Thailand I would say it's actually one of the strongest wings on the market.

Originally Posted by Scott.K
anybody know how much it's suppose to weight?
I am going to venture to guess that the car in stock form will be around 3450g.

Originally Posted by Integra
Im actually not really diggin the way they've done it here......In a standard configuration the bone wear's along with the pin and coupler.....the coupler or Pinion output usually lasts the longest with switching from 1 hole to the next if needed....When that bone wear's out its pretty inexpensive to replace along with the CV guts and go to the next hole(Brand new set-up)

Now with the 408 set-up you'll be needing to replace the pinion which IMO isn't a smart idea, Now your Ring and Pinion mesh will be out as a R+P wear as 1 and replacing the pinion due to the CV end being worn out will start to mess with your shimming.

Looks cool in pics no doubt but as to the theory behind it, Id like to know from gerd or who ever came up with the idea.
I don't know the theory. What I do know is this: When I got to Thailand I had to run Gerd's origional car that he had put countless gallons on. In the course of the Worlds practice and the R/C Pro Finals I have put nearly 5 gallons on the Ring and Pinion gears of this car. Better yet they still look brand new!! Plus you don't have to shim them. Just drop them in and run. There is zero flex in the bulkhead with the clamshell design being held tight by the aluminum bulkhead.

Originally Posted by captain america
True enough. This is probably optimal from a weight distribution standpoint, but from the time they showed the tray layout I had a sinking feeling that swapping batteries was going to be a bit of a chore. That could potentially be one "con" of the design: robust and quick, but more demanding maintenance-wise.
The battery (and the receiver for that point) are easily accessible with the removal of 3 small screws from the receiver box. It looks more complicated than it is but it is actually very easy.
__________________________________________________ _______________

I am really digging this car. You can feel the low CG on the track. It just feels stable and not tippy at all. It is unique in many ways and the maintenance is a breeze. 6 screws to take out the front and rear diffs. You can take out all the diffs but the arms are still attached to the chassis so you don't have arms and driveshafts dangling from the car when taking diffs out.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer.

-Ryan Lutz