R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - best 17,5 brushless motor
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 08:12 PM
ozace
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captain stacker
I find the values quoted by manufacturers to be no value to me. I'm sure someone here has the equipment, like a brushless analyzer/motor checker to see what motor produces whatever KV, rpm, watt.

up to a few months ago, I was running one of the oldest brushless motors around.....novak 17.5 ss pro, and it was running head to head with all the latest brushless motors.

by the way, how do you measure the output of watts?
according to Novak your "old" motor is 2200kv, right in the ball park so it should be right in there.

As i posted above the numbers i printed are from the manufacturers, i dont claim them to be right only as put forward from the source. If they are misleading then we are all being taken for a ride.

As to measuring watts, the only way i know if is to put a data logger of some sort in the mix. This will measure how many watts the battery is putting out for the powertrain (esc, motors and gearing drag). Watts is not really a great measure unless it is the exact same setup used each time for testing.

There are motor dynos out there that can actually measure the motors output but i have not come accross any that are practical for the hobbiest, and the owners of such devices usually wont publish the data as it can effect their business.