R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bjspinner
Granpa I made no reference to rebound in the shocks.

It is more about side to side weight transfer.

The point I was talking about was the shock length, and the effect of to much droop in the car comparative to the length of the springs.

The MO5 Pro kit has you install 6mm spacers in the shocks internaly.

As you go around the corner the inside of the car lifts and the spring becomes loose on the shock body. When the car settles back to straight the spring catches on the spring collar or the perch and the car effectivly becomes tweaked for a moment.
Sorry, equated spring preloading with rebound on the shocks. Been around Minis too long and haven't built a set of TC TRF shocks for a Mini in years with out using limiters or spacers. Since we're on that subject, I no longer measure the overall length of the shocks or worry much about how many spacers or what kind of spacers are used. The dimension that's critical is the bottom of the shock body to the top of the short coupler when the shock is fully extended. This should be 6.5-7mm. Of course this should be equal from side to side on the car, but can be used to fine tune your set up by running unequal lengths or the same lengths. Also it's a more precise measurement.

I guess what you are saying about the springs getting hung up could happen, but some of the guys posting steering troubles have been around for awhile. Only a real newbie would put the TC shocks on full length.