R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC6 Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 12:39 PM
spongerX
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by daleburr
But that's because you've always used two screw holes on opposite sides of the motor (180deg apart), since that's where the holes are located in all the TC mounts I've ever seen.

As well as allowing you to use holes that are 180deg apart, the TC6 also allows you to use holes that are just 90deg apart, which is something none of us have any experience of.

I'm not suggesting you use all 3 holes at the same time; I'm suggesting that 180deg apart is better than 90deg apart. But it's nice to have both options. If you do a big gearing change in a rush you may not be able to get to the rear screw hole, in which case the bottom screw hole can be used.
It looks like 3 bolt holes are used because the motor mount plate looks like it is only half the height of the motor instead of the more common almost full height of the front end bell. In a bad crash if only 2 bolts 180 degrees apart are used and the car experiences a sudden stop such as the car going roof first into an object at high speed the motor will rotate around the 2 180 degree mounting bolts and either strip/bend the end bell of the motor and/or bend the motor mount plate since the top half of the motor front end bell is not pressing against anything like it would normally be doing on a taller motor mount. With the 3rd mount hole down low the likelyhood of the motor rotation would be reduced since the bottom of the motor is now captured against the bottom of the motor mount.

Note: all of this is speculation on my part as I don't have a TC6 yet